As we are in our 25th year, it is clear that Dance Marathon at UF is not just an organization. Dance Marathon at UF changes the lives of everyone involved – not just the children’s lives, or the students involved, but also the families of these children and the donors who are supporting this life-changing cause. Twenty-five years of selfless love, giving, support and encouragement, but we are just getting started. Each year is a new year to improve – to do better than the last, to raise more money, to dedicate more time and even more love.
Check out these 25 fast facts about DM at UF to celebrate our 25th year!
- Over $18.2 million has been raised by Dance Marathon at UF since 1995, all #FTK.
- More than 1 million children have been impacted by DM at UF since our start in 1995.
- Up until 2008, Dancers stayed on their feet for 32 hours! Today, our Dancers stand for 26.2 hours, the length of an actual marathon.
- In 1995, the first Dance Marathon at the University of Florida was held in the Rion Ballroom at the J. Wayne Reitz Union. In 1996, the event was moved to the Stephen C. O’Connell Center, where it is held today.
- Dance Marathon at UF is one of the five founding Dance Marathon programs in the nation.
- We are lucky enough to have over 77 Miracle Families that inspire us daily.
- DM at UF is still the most successful student-run philanthropy in the southeastern United States.
- At our first Dance Marathon in 1995, we raised $12,424.66!
- Over these 25 years, we have had 678 total hours danced and 388,696.2 hours by all of the Dancers combined!
- DM at UF 2019 involves 20 Overall Directors, 484 Captains, and 196 Emerging Leaders!
- Approximately 41,128 slices of pizza have been served to Dancers since 1995.
- Since 1995, we have spent approximately 175 minutes performing the Linedance.
- The most years that someone has participated as a Dancer is 12 years – Matt Michel was a 12 year Dancer!
- Dance Marathon at UF has received over 49,000 donations on Donor Drive.
- Dance Marathon 2019 is on March 30-31st. We cannot wait!#WhenWeBelieve anything is possible.
There are so many amazing things in store for our 25th year! We hope you join us in celebrating all of the miracles we have made in the past and join us in anticipating those to come. #WhenWeBelieve we can end childhood illnesses, we will.
Participating as a Dancer in Dance Marathon is one of UF’s most adored traditions. Every spring, over 800 students remain awake and on their feet for 26.2 hours. While this task might seem daunting and impossible, over 15,000 Dancers throughout the past 25 years would attest to what a life changing experience it is. As a Dancer, you are part of a movement that is one generation fighting for the next, part of standing for those who can’t, and part of something so much bigger than yourself.
As a Dancer, you will get to firsthand experience one of the most incredible events that UF has to offer. It will be one of the most rewarding things that you will participate in throughout your time at the University of Florida. From standing on your feet for 26.2 hours to hearing the Miracle Families speak and learning the Linedance, the experiences and memories you will gain throughout the event are indescribable.
Dancing has redefined the college experiences of everyone who has done it. Here are some quotes from Dancers who have graciously shared their memories with us.
“I knew I wanted to dance the second I heard about DM. Standing and dancing for the whole 26.2 hours was definitely one of the hardest things I’ve ever done, but definitely one of the most rewarding. Whenever it got tough, I just thought about and talked to all of the Miracle Families and they really kept me going with high spirits.” – Dana Smoller, Freshman Dancer
“Dancing at DM is one of my favorite memories I have from my time at UF. Dancing for 4 years was challenging, yet one of the most rewarding things I’ve ever done. I am now a nurse in the neonatal ICU, so I see the direct impact that organizations like Dance Marathon and the Children’s Miracle Network have on these kids and their families. I’m so grateful for all DM has taught me and all it has given to these amazing families. I’m so proud to have been a 4-year Dancer!” – Lauren Calhoun, 4 Year Dancer
These individuals believed that their actions could shape the future. They believed that when our University unites, anything is possible. If you, too, believe that you have the power to make a difference, visit floridadm.org/dancers to participate in one of the most fulfilling things you will ever do. Dancer Registration closes September 30th, so apply before you’re left wishing you did!